Local assessment scheme - providers' information
Sussex by the Sea partners with VisitEngland (the national Tourist Board) and their Assessing Agency, Quality in Tourism, to introduce a local accommodation scheme called the Sussex by the Sea Accredited Visitor Accommodation Scheme.
On this website, the symbol above indicates accommodation participating in this scheme, but they will not show any quality stars, unlike the majority of providers who are part of the national Quality Assurance Schemes.
We recognise that the full star rated Quality Assurance schemes are not always right for every business, particularly those just starting out, or with limited bed spaces. So this scheme has been introduced as an alternative, designed to sit alongside and to complement the full star rated scheme.
The Accredited Visitor Accommodation Scheme is focused on ensuring the minimum legal standards for providing visitor accommodation are met and that the accommodation is legal, safe, and clean. The assessment process is carried out by Quality in Tourism Assessors but will not include the more in depth assessments needed to qualify for the one to five stars of the Quality Assurance Scheme.
The minimum legal standards are that the property must:
- complete a Fire Risk Assessment. This is a legal requirement as part of the Regulatory Fire Reform;
- have public liability insurance;
- be registered with the council’s Environmental Health Department if food is served;
- have a valid 'Gas Safe' certificate (self catering only).
The following categories of accommodation can apply:
- hotels and guest houses with a maximum of 10 rooms;
- self catering businesses with up to four units (one main unit plus three additional units within a one mile radius of the main unit);
- touring, camping and holiday parks with up to 20 units/pitches.
For larger properties or for further information, please call Quality in Tourism direct on 0845 300 6996 or email them.
Click the link for the Sussex by the Sea Accredited Accommodation Fees 2016 - 17 [pdf] 267KB