Information and news for Arun District tourism businesses
Tourism is vital to Sussex by the Sea, the tourism 'brand' of Arun District Council. So many businesses rely on the thousands of visitors who visit the district every year, either first-hand or indirectly.
Keep checking here and click on the A - Z links below for helpful information.
If you can't find the answer to your particular question here please contact us. We're here to help!
- 2017 Diary Dates! Tourism Business events and useful dates
Advertising Promote your tourism business with Arun Times and Sussex by the Sea
Business advice including Arun Business Partnership, Green tourism and Useful Information for Visitor Accommodation Providers
- Skills and training for tourism businesses including: 'Google Analytics', 'Digital Dilemmas' and 'Welcome Host' workshops
Visitor economy How much is it worth to the Arun District and Sussex by the Sea?
Appeal to a wider range of visitors and attract more business. Visit England say "Many tourism businesses are realising that catering for disabled and older customers is now a necessity and a win-win situation that brings a host of business benefits".
TIP: Why not add this Sussex by the Sea accessible travel link in a prominent place on your business website and in your email 'signature'.
Print Advertising in the annual Sussex by the Sea Pocket Guide from just £295 + VAT
- FREE standard business listings for Arun District tourism businesses (£50 + VAT for businesses from neighbouring districts)
- Enhanced listings with links to your website and social media for just £50 + VAT per year See an example of the difference between standard and enhanced listings here
- Banner advertising, with direct links to your website, on the most relevant page(s)for your business, with the chance to share in well over 500,000 page views per year (2015/2016 figures) from just £116 + VAT per year.See an example of banner advert location here
Advertise your business with Arun Times
The Arun District Council resident magazine, sent by Royal Mail direct to the doorsteps of every household in the Arun district, with a total circulation of around 70,000. Produced twice a year in full colour, Arun Times is a free quality magazine packed full of news, interesting and timely articles, and a handy ‘What’s On’ guide too. Please click this link if you are interested in advertising in future editions (subject to availability)
Own a business in the Arun District?
The Business and Regeneration Team at Arun District Council can advise on a whole range of subjects, including town centre management; regeneration plans; planning and general business advice for any type of business. Read more here
Join your LOCAL business organisation
The Arun Business Partnership offers many benefits from regular informal networking , B2B opportunities, annual Business of the Year Awards and the knowledge that we are all working together to make Sussex by the Sea and the Arun District a vibrant and successful place for businesses and visitors. Read more here
The regional partnership organisation
Tourism South East provides services and expertise to support the performance and growth of local tourism businesses and destinations. Sign up as a TSE member for a range of benefits for your business. Read more here
Accommodation businesses, useful information
If you are thinking about starting up or manage an existing business and need a useful reference tool, please read and download the latest: Useful information for Arun District Visitor Accommodation Providers [pdf] 270KB here.
We've discovered this great toolkit from Visit England which may also help you make the best of all the latest Online Marketing opportunities for your tourism business. Read more here
Being green makes good business sense and helps make Sussex by the Sea sustainable.
Several networking and special interest events are organised by different organisations and occur in the region throughout the year.
Please click on the links provided below and contact the organiser direct to register, book or for more information. Sussex by the Sea and Arun District Council are not responsible for events organised by external providers.
Turning the Tide
Friday 22 September 2017
Reserve your place at a Conference being hosted jointly by Arun District Council, West Sussex County Council and Bognor Regis Town Centre Management.
The Conference will showcase the regeneration investments being made in the town and explain why it’s the place to be planning your next big investment.
English Tourism Week, 27 March - 02 April 2017 is a week long nationwide opportunity to celebrate the wealth and breadth of the English tourism offer, helping to raise its profile and kick start the coming season. Everyone’s invited to be a part of the week, whether you are a local business, destination organisation, TIC or national trade association. Read more here
Wednesday 08 March 2017
Organised by Visit Chichester in partnership with Butlin's, who provide the venue at Upper Bognor Road, Bognor Regis PO21 1JJ
Sussex Day - Friday 16 June 2017 The annual celebration of all things Sussex - what will you do to celebrate?
1. Complete the full event details online - by clicking this link to: Arun District Council’s What’s On Database
3. Share your event details on Social Media. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know that your organisation is on Facebook or Twitter and we will make sure Sussex by the Sea follows you. If you 'tag' "Sussex by the Sea" on either of these media, then we will automatically be notified of your message, so can view and share your latest news and information to around 1200 followers to the Sussex by the Sea Facebook page and over 6,000 followers on Twitter
Want help with Social Media? See the latest information on the Skills and Training section of the Sussex by the Sea Tourism Business Page.
4. Email a jpeg of your event poster to email@example.com for inclusion on your Sussex by the Sea What's On listing and / or the Sussex by the Sea Social Media sites. If you have uploaded your event posters to your social media, again 'tag' Sussex by the Sea and we can share it with our followers
5. Print copies of your event poster(s) (A4 portrait) and / or DL or A5 size flyers and deliver to the Visitor Information Points at: Arundel, Bognor Regis and Littlehampton. Click on the link to view addresses and opening times throughout the year. Each Visitor Information Point has limited display space, and so cannot always guarantee to display all event information. Preference is likely to be given to events in the very local town and area.
6. Tell us the dates of your major events for the year(s) ahead as early as possible so that details can be included in the following printed publications, subject to space availability:
Sussex by the Sea Visitor Guide (65,000 copies) One annual edition. Copy and event information deadline - 16 January 2017
Arun Times Two editions per year each delivered to over 72,000 Arun District households and businesses
Interested in Tourism Trends?
Visit England have some fascinating research and statistics looking forward to a healthy future for English tourism.
If you own a tourism business and have a query that the Tourism Business Development Officer can help with, please email and we'll do our best to help.
How much is the visitor economy worth to the Arun district and Sussex by the Sea?
Take a look at the latest figures compiled by Tourism South East, on behalf of Arun District Council. We hope this will give an idea of just how important tourism is to the Arun District and Sussex by the Sea. Just click on the links below to view the pdf files.
Read a recent article in The Guardian on the perceived effect of 'Brexit' on tourism featuring information about the Sussex by the Sea area. Tourism South East also provide lots of information on any possible impact.
All visitor accommodation businesses promoted and supported by Sussex by the Sea participate in the National Quality Assurance Schemes operated by
- Visit England - with 1 - 5 stars awarded
- the AA - with 1 - 5 stars awarded
- the Sussex by the Sea Visitor Accredited Accommodation Scheme (administered by Visit England)
- Or are self-assessed by larger organisations (for example the Caravan Club)
More and more attractions are discovering the benefits of joining the VisitEngland Visitor Attraction Quality Assurance Scheme.
We work with partners to deliver a range of skills and training courses periodically throughout the year.
This powerful tool is far more useful than simply recording traffic to your websites, which are increasingly important as a marketing channel in this digital age. This half-day course will give insights into how content, navigation and search engine optimisation can be improved using data you may never knew existed. Bring along your laptop, use our free wi-fi and work alongside the instructor from your own website’s perspective. The workshop held in January 2016 was a great success with positive comments including
Find out more and register your interest for the next date planned in 2016/2017 - to be arranged.
Welcome Host Customer Skills Training